"Leading innovative professional practice"
'To sustain a vibrant, inclusive learning community, educating, shaping and enriching society through excellence in teaching, scholarship and research.'
We are committed to developing policies and programmes which aim to continuously improve our teaching and scholarship activities for the benefit of children and young people in our society and further afield.
'Leading innovative professional practice.'
The following values underpin everything we do:
- We pursue excellence
- We embrace diversity
- We champion collaboration
- We promote social responsibility
- We practise good governance.
The University College Education Strategy
The College has undertaken a recent review of its Education Strategy. It is based on the following principles:
- effective and enriched engagement between staff and students is central to the delivery of a high quality educational experience;
- academic excellence underpins all – the students, the curriculum, the staff, the facilities - and is available to a diverse body of students on the basis of their ability and potential to succeed within the learning environment that Stranmillis offers;
- the student experience is aligned in a continuum from school to university, undergraduate to postgraduate, and towards employment and modern day citizenship, taking account of where the student has come from and where he or she is going to;
- student experience should be differentiated to reflect the diverse needs and expectations of undergraduate and postgraduate taught students;
- innovative teaching and assessment, making optimum use of technological developments, underpins the delivery of the curriculum and the active engagement of students in their learning;
- curriculum development must be actively responsive to changing student demand and employer and societal need, both in terms of what is delivered and how it is delivered;
- graduate attributes are developed through the curriculum and co-curricular activities, enabling students to fulfil their role as citizens of a modern day global society and to achieve graduate employment both nationally and globally.
The aims of the Strategy are set out under four pillars:
- Dynamic and relevant curriculum: to provide an engaging and dynamic curriculum delivered by our leading professional scholars to meet the current and future needs of our students and the wider society
- Student profile: to attract students from a wide range of backgrounds who have the potential to benefit from the experience the University College offers, and ensure effective staff–student engagement aimed at developing their potential and maximising their learning
- Innovation and enrichment of teaching and support: to deliver a high quality flexible learning environment that embeds intellectual curiosity, innovation and best practice in learning, teaching and student support to enable students to achieve their full academic potential
- Employability, entrepreneurship and citizenship in a global world: to develop high quality graduates and postgraduates who are equipped for life in a global society and work in a global economy.