Dr Ken Gibson
- BEd Technology and Design STD3022 Systems Design: Mechatronics
- BEd Placement
- MEd Dissertation Supervisor
External Interests / Community Service
- External Examiner for BA(QTS)and PGCE Design and Technology – University of Greenwich, 2005 – 2009
- External Examiner for PGCE Design and Technology – University of the West of England (Bristol), 2014 – 2017
- Board of Governor member (Post-primary School) 2006 – 2008
- Board of Governor member (Primary School) 2005 – 2009
- Board of Governor member (Post-primary School) [DENI Representative] 2011 – 2018
- Board of Governor member – Vice Chair (Primary School) 2010 – Current
- The place of Technology and Design in the Curriculum
- The value of short term placements
- Teacher Professionalism
- Student Teacher Reflections
- Initial Teacher Education
Background & Qualifications
- Teacher in a Post-primary school
- BEd Queen’s University Belfast
- BA Open University
- MSc in Microelectronics and Microcomputer Applications University of Ulster at Coleraine
- EdD Queen’s University, Belfast
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy)
- MIET (Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology)
Research & Scholarship
Gibson, K. and Purdy, N. (2012) ‘Reflect-Select-Defend: a model for student teacher reflection’, Critical and Reflective Practice in Education, vol. 3, 14-30.
Gibson, K. (2012) ‘Student Teachers of Technology and Design: Can short periods of STEM-related industrial placement change student perceptions of engineering and technology?’ Design and Technology Education: An International Journal 17:1
Gibson, K. (2011) ‘Student teachers of technology and design into industry: a Northern Ireland case study’ International Journal of Technology and Design Education 23:2 2, pp 289-311.
Gibson, K. and Bell, I. (2011) ‘When Technology and Design Education is Inhibited by Mathematics’ Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, 16:3, pp. 28-39.
Bell, I., Gibson, K., (In Press) Mathematical knowledge of technology and design student teachers: diagnosis and remediation. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Vol. 40, Issue 8.
Gibson, Kenneth (2009) Technology and Design, at Key Stage 3, within the Northern Ireland curriculum: teachers’ perceptions. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, Springer Publication, Netherlands, Volume 19, Pages 37 – 54.
Purdy, N. & Gibson, K. (2008) Alternative Placements in Initial Teacher Education: An Evaluation Teaching and Teacher Education, 24, 2076-2086.
Gibson, Ken (2008) Technology and technological knowledge: a challenge for school curricula. Teachers and Teaching, Volume 14, Issue 1 February 2008, pages 3 – 15, (also available online – DOI: 10.1080/13540600701837582)
Gibson, Kenneth (2007) Technology and Design, at Key Stage 3, within the Northern Ireland curriculum: teachers’ perceptions. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, Springer Publication, Netherlands, Online FirstTM, DOI (10.1007/s10798-007-9039-z).
Gibson, K. (2007), Technology and Design at Key Stage 3: perceptions of challenge. Design and Technology: An International Journal, Vol. 12, No. 1, March 2007.
Purdy, N., Harris, J., Dunn, J., Gibson, K., Jones, S., McKee, B., McMullen, J., Walsh, G., and Ballentine, M. (2021) Northern Ireland Survey of Parents/Carers on Home-Schooling during the Covid-19 Crisis: 2021, Belfast: Centre for Research in Educational Underachievement
Eaton, P., Curry, A., Gibson, K., Ievers, M., Nelson, J., Purdy, N. (2009) It’s good to talk! The benefits of peer learning in developing professional practice, Paper presented at ATEE Conference, Palma (August 2009).
Eaton, P., Gibson, K. (2007) Time Out: The Value of Visits to Other Schools in the Continuing Professional Development of Teachers, Proceedings of ATEE 2007, Wolverhampton, England.