Dr Michael Ievers
- Mechanical & Pneumatic Systems;
- Electrical & Electronic Systems
- Teaching Skills; Advanced Electronics
- Product Design in Metals;
- Research Dissertations;
- Advanced Certificate for Theatre in Schools.
External Interests / Community Service
- Authored plays: “Sharkey” (2015, nationally awarded); “Bobby Savage’s Secret War” (2018) and “The Professor and the Factory” (2019), staged by Marble Productions NI
- Director of Bangor Drama Club Limited (2016-2018)
- Project Manager for Studio 1A theatre renovation (2007-2017), fund-raising £200k +
- Chairman of Bangor Drama Club (2013-2015)
- Chapter contribution to “Bangor in the Eighties“, compiled by Terence Bowman (publ. Cottage Publications & Ballyhay Books)
- Ulster Drama Finals Gold Medal winner (1996 & 2009)
- Arts Council scholarship to train at the Central School of Speech and Drama, London
Represented Ireland, acting at the World Drama Finals in Japan (1985).
- Project-Based Learning
- Development of Technology & Design education.
Background & Qualifications
- Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (2020)
- Associate Assessor with the Northern Ireland Education & Training Inspectorate (2017-)
- External Examiner for Teacher Education (Technology & Design) at Sheffield Hallam University (2014-2017)
- Member of the Board of Governors, Strathearn Grammar School (2009-2013)
- CCEA (Council for Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment) representative to the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, London (2007)
- Professional Qualification for Headship (2004)
- Ph.D. (University of Ulster, 2004)
- CCEA Scrutineer for A-level Technology & Design (2002-2009)
- CCEA Assistant Chief Examiner for Technology & Design A-level (1996-2002)
- Head of Department (Technology & Design), Strathearn, Belfast (1994-2006)
- Teacher of Physics, Strathearn Grammar School, Belfast (1988-1994);
- PGCE (Physics & Computer Science) (Queen’s University, Belfast, 1988);
- Stress Engineer, Shorts Plc., Belfast (1986-1987);
- M.Eng. (Aero.) (Queen’s University, Belfast, 1986).
Research & Scholarship
Ievers, M.,Wylie, K.,Gray, C.,Cummins, B.,Ni Aingleis, B.(2012). “The role of the University Tutor in School-Based Work in Primary Schools in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland” European Journal of Teacher Education Vol. 36, No. 2, 183-199;
Ievers, M.,Wylie, K.,Gray, C.,Cummins, B.,Ni Aingleis, B.(2012) “Collaborative Models of Partnership for Teaching Practice in Irish Primary Schools”. In: Research Policy and Practice in Teacher Education in Europe (pp.241-262) eds. J.Madalinska, H.Niemi, S.Chong, and presented at the Conference for Teacher Education Policy in Europe (TEPE) in Warsaw, 2012.
Conference proceedings and papers
Ievers, M., McGeown, K. (2018) “STEM in Northern Ireland Primary Schools: where is it at and where should it go?” presented at the Pupil Attitudes Towards Technology (PATT) Conference in Athlone;
Ievers. M, Burns. S, Leitch. R (2016) “The Haves and the Have-Nots: Lessons learned from provision of funding for Full Service Extended Schools” presented at the Atiner International Research Conference (2016) in Athens;
Burns. S, Ievers. M (2015) “Examination of a Model of Full Service Extended School (FSES) Provision in an Area of High Deprivation” presented at the European Conference of Educational Research (2015) in Budapest;
Leitch, R., Hughes, J., Burns, S., Cownie, E., McManus, C., Ievers, M., Shuttleworth, I., (2017) Investigating Links to Achievement and Deprivation (ILIAD). Belfast: Queen’s University Belfast.
2012: Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly-funded ILiAD Project (Understanding differential educational achievement within and between areas of multiple deprivation in Northern Ireland); the iLiad Report was published in September 2017 (www.executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk)