Dr Patricia Eaton
- I am responsible for all teaching and learning within the College and continue to teach mathematics education at undergraduate level and supervise dissertations up to Master’s level.
External Interests / Community Service
- Fellow of the Leadership Foundation
- Member of Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (and formerly Chair of Irish Branch)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Mathematics Association
- External Examiner in Mathematics education
- Mathematics and mathematics education
- Diversity and inclusion and community relations.
Background & Qualifications
- 1991 B.Sc. Pure Mathematics, First Class Honours, Queen’s University, Belfast
- 1994 Ph.D. Pure Mathematics, Queen’s University, Belfast
- 1995 P.G.C.E. Mathematics with IT (Commendation) Queen’s University, Belfast
- I taught mathematics at post-primary for a number of years before joining the staff of the College.
Research & Scholarship
McMullen, J.D. & Eaton, P. (2020). ‘The Impact of a School-based Life Skills Intervention in Ugandan Secondary Schools: Perspectives of Teachers and Students.’ Pastoral Care in Education,
Hagan, M., and Eaton, P. (2020) ‘Teacher Education in Northern Ireland: Reasons to be Cheerful or a Wicked Problem?’ Teacher Development, DOI: 10.1080/13664530.2020.1751260
Moffett, P. & Eaton, P. (2018) The impact of the Promoting Early Number Talk project on the development of abstract representation in mathematics. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal https://doi.org/10.1080/1350293X.2018.1487166
Moffett, P. & Eaton, P. (2017): The impact of the Promoting Early Number Talk project on classroom mathematics talk, Early Child Development and Care: https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2017.1412954
Eaton, P., McKenzie, L., McCracken, O., Richardson N. (2015) Teachers’ Reflections on Community Relations and Diversity: A Northern Irish Perspective The International Journal of Diversity in Education, Volume 16, Issue 1 pp 1-14
Conference proceedings and papers
Eaton, P., Horn, C., Oldham, E. & O’Reilly, M. (2019) ‘Reflections on the Development and Application of an Instrument to Access Mathematical Identity’ Presented at CERME 11 2019, Utrecht, Holland.
Eaton, P., Horn, C., Liston, M., Oldham, E. & O’Reilly, M. (2015) ‘The Collaborative Learning of Student Teachers: An insight from a study of mathematical identity’ Presented at ATEE (Association for Teacher Education in Europe) 2015, Glasgow, UK
Eaton, P., Horn, C., Liston, M., Oldham, E. & O’Reilly, M. (2015) ‘Using Narrative to Access Mathematical Identity: An overview informed by an empirical study in five third level institutions in Ireland British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM),’ Mathematics Education Ireland (MEI) Joint Conference, St. Patrick’s Drumcondra, 27 – 28 February 2015
Eaton, P., Horn, C., Liston, M., Oldham, E., OReilly M. (2014) From learner to teacher: using reflection to develop mathematical teacher identity, Proceedings of ATEE 2014, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Eaton, P., McKenzie, L., McCracken, O., Richardson, N. (2014) Teachers’ Reflections on Community Relations and Diversity: A Northern Irish Perspective, Paper presented at Fourteenth International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities, and Nations, Institute for Gender and Diversity in Organizations, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Vienna, Austria
Hagan, M., Eaton, P. (2014) Professionalism’ and the Governance of Teacher Education: a Northern Irish Perspective, Paper presented at UK symposium at ECER 2014, University of Porto, Portugal