Dr Sharon Jones
- BEd Education Studies modules:
Year 1 SES 1005, SES1014 An Introduction to Education Studies
Year 2 SES 2006/2076 Learning and Assessment in Diverse Classrooms (Coordinator)
Year 3 SES3069 Children with Special and Additional Needs
Year 4 SCS3042 Contemporary Approaches to the Teaching of Primary Languages (Coordinator)
- CPD courses on Gifted and Talented and An Introduction to Working with Newcomer Pupils
- MEd module: Tackling Underachievement in Schools (Module Coordinator)
External Interests / Community Service
- Member of Northern Ireland Languages Council
- Reviewer for Teacher Education Advancement Network Journal
- Former CCEA Moderator GCSE Spanish
- Member of the Association for Language Learning
- Debating Matters Regional Judge
- Member of New Irish Arts
- Stretch and Challenge in Teaching and Learning
- Independent Learning
- Pedagogy in MFL
- Working with Newcomer Pupils
Background & Qualifications
- MA Modern and Medieval Languages, Girton College, University of Cambridge
- PGCE in Modern Languages, University of Cambridge
- MEd The Open University
- PhD University of Ulster
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA 2015)
Research & Scholarship
- Jones, S. (2017) ‘Heaney and Education‘, Irish Studies Review, published online 18th July
- Jones, S. (2015) ‘Newcomer pupils in Northern Ireland: a pastoral perspective.’, Pastoral Care in Education: An International Journal of Personal, Social and Emotional Development, vol. 33 (3), pp. 154-160.
- Jones, S., McMullen, J., Campbell, R., McLaughlin, J., McDade, B., O’Lynn, P., Glen, C., (2018) Multilingual Minds: the Mental Health and Wellbeing of Newcomer Children and Young People in Northern Ireland and the role of the Education Authority Youth Service. Report commissioned by the Education Authority Northern Ireland
- Jones, S. Greenwood, R. Purdy, N. McGuckian, E. (2017) Review of Current Primary Languages in Northern Ireland (Funded by NILC)
- Jones, S. (2017) ‘The Givenness of Things’ in British Journal of Education Studies. 65 (2)pp. 278-280 (Book Review) Published online 5 April 2017
- Jones, S. (2015). ‘The country of the young: interpretations of youth and childhood in Irish culture’, (Book review), Irish Studies Review, 23(2), 252-25
- Jones, S. (2016) The Importance of Language Learning in the Primary School, Guest Presentation at NICILT Primary Principals’ Information Day at Queen’s University Belfast
- Jones, S. (2015) Opportunities and challenges for newcomer pupils in Primary Education: a view from Initial Teacher Education, Guest Presentation at Stronger Together Conference, Belfast, 19 November
- Jones, S. (2015) ‘Sixth Form Stretch and Challenge: Debating Matters’, Paper presented at NI Edcamp, Stranmillis University College, Belfast.
- Jones, S. (2015) ‘Stretching gifted and talented learners in Northern Ireland post primary schools’ Paper presented at The British Psychological Society Northern Ireland Branch 2015 Annual Conference, Armagh
- Jones, S. (2014) ‘Heaney and Education’ Paper presented at Seamus Heaney: a Conference and Commemoration, Queen’s University Belfast, 10th-13th April.
- Jones, S. (2014) ‘Poetry and play: reflections on childhood, creativity and learning in Seamus Heaney and Sinead Morrissey’ Paper presented at the United Kingdom Literacy Association 50th International Conference, University of Sussex, July 4th-6th.
- Department of Education Northern Ireland (2012) Effective Teaching and Learning to Meet the Needs of More Able Learners – Resource File Chapter for Capacity Building Programme [Contributor]
- Jones, S. (2007) Reading, writing and restlessness: a study of Miguel de Unamuno’s poetics and prose, from 1897 – 1914, in the light of his response to Christianity (Ph.D. thesis), University of Ulster.